Texas awards millions for veterans’ mental health
March 27, 2018 | By Kelli Weldon
The Texas Health and Human Services Commission announced today it is awarding $10 million in grant funds to 20 organizations across the state for phase three of the state’s Texas Veterans + Family Alliance grant program.
The grants help expand and coordinate access to mental health and supportive services for veterans and their families. Examples of services include face-to-face counseling and tele-counseling in rural communities, continuity of care services to help veterans transition from military to civilian life, and transportation coordination to help veterans and families access mental health services.
Sen. Jane Nelson’s Senate Bill 55 established the Texas Veterans + Family Alliance grant program in 2016. HHSC will award up to $20 million in state funds over the 2018-19 biennium to be matched by grantees with local and private funds. This is in addition to the previously announced $20 million in state funds over the 2016-17 biennium to be matched with local and private funds by grantees.
“As the daughter of a World War II veteran, I am pleased to see this program is giving veterans and their families access to quality mental health services,” said Sen. Nelson. “By bringing together state and local organizations—along with the private sector—they are meeting the needs of our veterans.”
All selected grantees participate in community collaboratives, partnering with local nonprofit and veterans service organizations, faith-based organizations, local businesses and government agencies to address their communities’ needs. Grant funding was awarded through an application process and required a project proposal. Grantees are required to match the state’s award on a dollar-for-dollar basis to demonstrate their commitment to addressing the needs of Texas veterans and families living in their communities.
The following organizations have been selected to receive funding and will begin providing services in the counties listed pending execution of contracts:
- Andrews Center Behavioral Healthcare System – Henderson, Rains, Smith, Van Zandt and Wood counties
- Bexar County Commissioners Court – Bexar County
- Easterseals Central Texas – Bastrop, Hays, Travis and Williamson counties
- Easter Seals Greater Houston – Brazos, Burleson, Fort Bend, Grimes, Harris, Leon, Liberty, Montgomery, Waller and Washington counties
- Ecumenical Center for Religion and Health – Atascosa, Bandera, Bee, Bexar, Cameron, Comal, Duval, Frio, Gillespie, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Hidalgo, Jim Hogg, Karnes, Kendall, Kerr, Kleberg, Medina, Nueces, San Patricio and Wilson counties
- Emergence Health Network – El Paso County
- Equest – Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Fannin, Grayson, Hunt, Kaufman, Rockwall and Tarrant counties
- Family Endeavors – Andrews, Armstrong, Bailey, Borden, Brewster, Briscoe, Carson, Castro, Childress, Cochran, Coke, Collingsworth, Cottle, Crane, Crockett, Crosby, Culberson, Dallam, Dawson, Deaf Smith, Dickens, Donley, Ector, El Paso, Fisher, Floyd, Foard, Garza, Glasscock, Gray, Hale, Hall, Hansford, Hardeman, Hartley, Haskell, Hemphill, Hockley, Howard, Hudspeth, Hutchinson, Jeff Davis, Kent, King, Knox, Lamb, Lipscomb, Loving, Lubbock, Lynn, Martin, Midland, Mitchell, Moore, Motley, Nolan, Ochiltree, Oldham, Parmer, Pecos, Potter, Presidio, Randall, Reagan, Roberts, Scurry, Sherman, Sterling, Stonewall, Swisher, Taylor, Terrell, Terry, Upton, Ward, Wheeler, Winkler and Yoakum counties
- Family Support Services of Amarillo – Armstrong, Bailey, Briscoe, Carson, Castro, Childress, Collingsworth, Dallam, Deaf Smith, Donley, Floyd, Gray, Hale, Hall, Hansford, Hartley, Hemphill, Hutchinson, Lamb, Lipscomb, Moore, Motley, Ochiltree, Oldham, Parmer, Potter, Randall, Roberts, Sherman, Swisher and Wheeler counties
- Heart of Texas Regional MHMR Center – McLennan County
- Heroes Night Out – Bastrop, Bell, Blanco, Bosque, Brazos, Burleson, Burnet, Caldwell, Coryell, Falls, Fayette, Freestone, Grimes, Hamilton, Hays, Hill, Lampasas, Lee, Leon, Limestone, Llano, Madison, McLennan, Milam, Mills, Robertson, San Saba, Travis, Washington and Williamson counties
- Montrose Counseling Center – Fort Bend, Harris and Montgomery counties
- Recovery Resource Council – Collin, Cooke, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Erath, Fannin, Grayson, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Navarro, Palo Pinto, Parker, Rockwall, Somervell, Tarrant and Wise counties
- Seton Family of Hospitals – Bastrop, Blanco, Burnet, Caldwell, Hays, Lee, Llano, Travis and Williamson counties
- StarCare Specialty Health System – Andrews, Bailey, Borden, Castro, Cochran, Crosby, Dawson, Dickens, Dimmit, Ector, Floyd, Gaines, Garza, Hale, Hockley, Lamb, Lubbock, Lynn, Martin, Midland, Motley, Parmer, Swisher, Terry and Yoakum counties
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center – Armstrong, Bailey, Borden, Briscoe, Carson, Castro, Cochran, Crosby, Dawson, Dickens, Ector, Floyd, Gaines, Garza, Gray, Hale, Hall, Hansford, Hockley, Howard, Kent, Lamb, Lubbock, Lynn, Martin, Midland, Motley, Parmer, Randall, Swisher, Terry and Yoakum counties
- University of Texas at Austin – Bastrop, Bell, Bexar, Blanco, Bosque, Brazos, Brown, Burleson, Burnet, Caldwell, Callahan, Coleman, Comal, Comanche, Coryell, Cottle, Eastland, Erath, Falls, Fayette, Fisher, Foard, Freestone, Grimes, Guadalupe, Hamilton, Hays, Hill, Hood, Johnson, Jones, Lampasas, Lee, Leon, Limestone, Llano, Madison, McLennan, Milam, Mills, Robertson, Runnels, San Saba, Taylor, Travis, Washington, Williamson and Young counties
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio – Andrews, Atascosa, Austin, Bandera, Bastrop, Bell, Bexar, Blanco, Brazoria, Burleson, Burnet, Caldwell, Chambers, Concho, Collin, Colorado, Comal, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Fort Bend, Frio, Galveston, Guadalupe, Harris, Hays, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Kendall, Kerr, Lampasas, La Salle, Lee, Liberty, Llano, Matagorda, Medina, Midland, Montgomery, Parker, Pecos, Rockwall, San Saba, Somervell, Tarrant, Terrell, Tom Green, Travis, Uvalde, Walker, Washington, Williamson, Wharton, Wilson and Wise counties
- West Texas Centers for MHMR – Andrews, Borden, Brewster, Coke, Crane, Dawson, Ector, Fisher, Gaines, Garza, Glasscock, Haskell, Howard, Irion, Jones, Kent, Knox, Loving, Martin, Midland, Mitchell, Nolan, Reagan, Reeves, Runnels, Scurry, Shackelford, Sterling, Stonewall, Taylor, Terrell, Tom Green, Terry, Upton, Ward, Winkler and Yoakum counties
- West Texas Counseling and Guidance – Coke, Concho, Crockett, Irion, Kimble, Mason, McCulloch, Menard, Reagan, Schleicher, Sterling, Sutton, Tom Green and Val Verde counties
This press release was provided by Texas Health & Human Services.