NAMI Abilene is an Affiliate of NAMI Texas. Reaching Affiliate status in March 2017, NAMI Abilene holds general meetings on the First Tuesdays of the month at 6 p.m. at the Grace Fellowship Church, 910 Cypress Street, Abilene (recent meetings have been cancelled due to COVID-19; a decision has not yet been made about the June 2nd meeting). These meetings are open to the community and feature informative speakers. NAMI Abilene participates in area mental health and behavioral events; holds education and support groups; trains volunteers to lead groups and classes; and engages in mental health advocacy.
NAMI Abilene’s service area includes Taylor and Jones counties.
Mission & Vision Statements
NAMI Abilene seeks to improve the lives of those affected by mental illness by providing support, education, and advocacy to individuals and their families in Northwest Texas.
NAMI Abilene focuses on the belief that people with mental illness can lead meaningful, productive lives. We endeavor to promote a greater understanding about these illnesses–including those with a dual diagnosis, facilitate access to treatment and related services, and keep hope alive for people with mental illness and their loved ones. We further seek to eliminate stigma. We don’t see the illness; we see the person.
**In accordance with the Guidelines from the President and the CDC, General Meetings, NAMI Peer Support Group and NAMI Family Support Group have been temporarily cancelled.
Please sign up for an Online Support Group by clicking here!
Once restrictions have been lifted, we will continue to offer the following support groups:
NAMI Connection Peer Support Group and NAMI Family Support Group
-Location: Phoenix House, 802 North Orange, Abilene
-groups begin at 6 pm
- NAMI Connection Peer Support Group – a free, ongoing support group for people living with mental illness
- NAMI Family Support Group – a free support group for families of individuals living with mental illness
- NAMI In Our Own Voice – a free presentation that unmasks mental illness using speaker stories to illustrate the realities of living with a mental illness and staying in recovery; NAMI In Our Own Voice can change attitudes, preconceived notions, and stereotypes regarding mental illness
- NAMI Peer-to-Peer – a free, 10-session educational program for adults with mental illness who are looking to better understand their condition and journey toward recovery
- NAMI Night Big Country – a monthly, free education meeting open to the general public featuring a guest speaker focusing on mental health and/or substance abuse recovery; snacks provided
All meetings are held at Grace Fellowship Church, 901 Cypress Street, Abilene, TX.
Click the image below to view the PDF!
Become a Member
Annual Dues are $60 per household, $40 per individual, and $5 for those with limited finances.
Please make checks payable to “NAMI Texas” and make a notation on the bottom of the check for: “NAMI Abilene”. Then, mail membership form and payment to NAMI Texas, P.O. Box 300817, Austin, TX 78703.
Credit cards may be used electronically at the following link:
NAMI Abilene needs YOU!
NAMI’s mission has been shaped and supported by its grassroots volunteers since the beginning. NAMI volunteers are crucial to the success of our NAMI Abilene Affiliate.
NAMI Abilene Volunteer Opportunities: We still have openings on several of our committees, including Finance, Communications, Membership, Programs, and Advocacy. Please call Byl (Bill) at (325) 627-8781 or write email@example.com.
NAMI Program Training Opportunities: Help decrease stigma and raise awareness with these important programs!
- NAMI Connection Support Group Leader Training for those in recovery: To register, call Byl at (325) 627-8781.
- NAMI Family Support Group Facilitator Training for family members: To register, call Byl at (325) 627-8781.
- NAMI In Our Own Voice To schedule a presentation for your group, church, or organization, call us at (325) 627-8781.
- NAMI Peer-to-Peer Classes forming now for adults. Register by calling (325) 627-8781.
A separate organization that might be of interest to you:
- PHOENIX Clubhouse – A Clubhouse is a social community rehabilitation model for persons recovering from mental illness. The Clubhouse is a wellness model designed to create an environment that requires the volunteerism of its members to work side by side with staff in the running of every part of the Clubhouse.
Click on the link below to view our latest newsletter!
Inaugural Issue – January 2017
Spring 2017 Newsletter Issue
Summer 2017 Newsletter Issue
Special Conference Issue – Fall 2017
Fall 2017 Newsletter Issue
Winter 2018 Newsletter Issue
Spring 2018 Newsletter Issue
Summer 2018 Newsletter Issue
Special Conference Issue- Fall 2018
Contact NAMI Abilene